2018 LEGISLATIVE AGENDA
The mission of the Clayton County Chamber of Commerce is to promote business growth and
enhance the overall business climate for a prosperous Clayton County. In addition to adopting
the Regional Business Coalition’s 2018 Legislative Agenda, the Clayton County Chamber of
Commerce will represent the interests of its chamber members on public policy issues
impacting transportation, economic development, and education.
• The Clayton County Chamber supports additional funding for critical transportation infrastructure.
- Supports legislation that ensures Clayton County’s MARTA system is maintained and enhanced to meet growing economic development needs
• The Clayton County Chamber supports the coordination of the Clayton County Municipalities and Clayton County Government to ensure needed projects are identified and presented to the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT).
2. Economic Development
• Clayton County Chamber supports tax policies and other economic development tools that encourage investment in Clayton County and its businesses, in order to enhance Clayton County’s competitiveness and to create more jobs for Clayton County and the region.
- Supports initiatives that focus on existing industry, small businesses, and downtown development, and redevelopment opportunities.
- Continues to utilize regional and state resources, such as the Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC), Regional Business Coalition (RBC), Georgia Department of Economic Development (GDED), and all other pertinent stakeholders.
- Supports the Aerotropolis Alliance and its initiatives, by being an active and engaged representative.
- Clayton County opposes legislative measures that would negatively impact our business climate, are discriminatory in nature or would harm our ability to create, attract, retain and expand jobs in Georgia.
- Clayton County supports legislation that encourages policies and programs that allow Clayton County students to receive a quality education.
- Supports STEM programs.
- Supports options in the school system that address the different needs of students, such as college and career academies.
- Focuses on workforce development.
- Supports more student services such as counselors, school social workers, psychologists and health technicians.
- Provides sufficient funding for the increasing costs of the employer portion of employee benefits.
- Establishes a differentiated QBE funding formula that recognizes and appropriately supports the challenges of serving at-risk, high-poverty populations.
- Provides the Clayton County School District the opportunity to levy ad valorem taxes on property located at the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport that falls within the boundaries of Clayton County.